Monday, September 14, 2009

Seasonal Maintanence


A brilliant return to the saddle this weekend, but first a little maintenance was required; a worn pivot axle, migrating pivot bearing, soft titanium bolts and a little issue with my cranks.

Nothing that the right tools for the job, handy instructions and liquid encouragement couldn’t solve. First order of business was to remove the sheared bolt from the new(ish) axle and replace it with a more durable hardened steel equivalent. Resetting the bearing was easy enough and also allowed me to clean and grease the whole swing arm assembly and in no time the frame was reassemble and we were back to business, save for the cranks. My old cranks were still at Race Face, the warranty issue still yet to be settled but fortunately I have some generous friends and one of them just happened to have a spare set I could use, it just required a trip to Squamish.





The first ride would be a solo affair; everyone else had other plans, a race to participate in or was out of town. Too bad for them as I had one of the best rides in Squamish in sometime, easy access to the Alice Lake trails via 4Play-Slurm and the Mashiter trail. The first loop was up Mikes to upper Entrails and then down Marc My Word back to the Mashiter trail. The second much the same but this time Entrails in its entirety to Roller coaster then back to my starting point the same way I started: Slurm and 4Play. It would have been nice to have had someone else to ride with but being the first ride in a few weeks it was just as good to rip along at my own pace. It’s good to be back on the bike.

Next up: XClerator in Abbotsford. This season has been made up of exploring new areas and a few of us have been looking at hitting this trail for sometime now. Tuesday can’t come soon enough.

No comments: