Friday, September 02, 2011

Work sucks! Lets go ride a bike!



Specialized is looking for Trail Crew members again. I remember going through this process once before, The lure of complimentary swag is just too strong to ignore. Looks to be the same process:

A blog post, video or something that proves just how much one likes to ride their bike. Last time I think I tried using pity, I had just purchased a new pair of S-Works shoes and thought the fact that I had dropped serious cash to further my habit might help.

It didn't!

Nearly 300 rides later I could use a new pair of those shoes... So let's try this again.

When I tried the last time for this Trail Crew gig I was recovering from reconstructive knee surgery and under employed. Plenty good reason to get out and ride as much as I could. 2 years down the road under-employment doesn't seem to be a problem and the knee has long since recovered though various other limbs and joints have made pleas for attention of there own of late. Regardless I try to get out as much as I can in as varied locations and terrain as possible. I think a brief summary of 2 weeks between work, home and back to work would sum up my passion pretty well.

Of late I have been toiling away on a mineral exploration project outside of Houston B.C. and fortunately for my habit I have been lucky enough to be a short drive from some nice riding in Smithers though its a hell of a long way from my home in North Vancouver. At the beginning of August I had a brief break from work and a long drive back to the South Coast. And there is nothing like a nice ride regardless of length to help break up many hours in the drivers seat.



Aug. 2 Smithers: Still working but needing a quick lung buster followed by some great Mexican food.


Aug. 6 Burns Lake: Heading home and checking out new terrain on Boer Mtn.


Aug. 7 Williams Lake: The Fox Mountain trails are right out the front door from the hotel, a quick ride before the final push home.


Aug. 8 North Vancouver: Home and a big group ride on the only real epic sub alpine trail within 20 minutes of the now 3rd most liveable city in the world.


Aug. 10 Sunshine Coast: Grannies Birthday. I love my Grandmother but there is only so much that can be said to a 98yr old woman before you start saying it again 15 minutes later. Great opportunity to retrace portions of the BC Bike Race. Unfortunately the batteries in the GPS died not long in, you'll have to trust that I was on the trails for a couple of hours... Oh and the cake was delicious too.


Aug. 11 West Vancouver: Lets ride a classic, something not so well known and look at giant trees too!


Aug.13 Prince George: Driving back to work and a quick ride on the Otway Trails with a local named Ed. He's retired and he absolutely crushed me...


Aug.16 Smithers: Having returned to work I get the riding in when I can. Another rip on the Bluff trails.


Just a small example of how much I like to ride and discover new terrain.
With work now rearing it's ugly head again the riding will for the short term be less frequent but before too long I will be on another road trip to close out summer. New adventures to be had in Rossland, Revelstoke and the Shuswap.

I suppose if I am going to have any chance at all with this Trail Crew thing I'm going to have to start to post a bit more frequently. A small price to pay for a pretty good opportunity. If again I fail to make the cut I could only hope for a consolation prize. Those shoes are still going to have to be replaced...

Size 44?




No comments: