Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Winds Of Change


Fire Posted by Hello
According to the calendar June 21st marks the first day of summer. Solstice, the longest day of the year and the beginning of sun n’ fun. There was certainly no end to the fun on Tuesday night, but the sun has failed to make any significant appearance and I am under the distinct impression that after I woke up from the latest alcohol induce slumber, that summer had made a brief appearance when I wasn’t looking and I was confronted with Autumn upon my return to consciousness

If there is one aspect of the eastern Arctic that I think that I could do without, it would have to be the endless gale force winds. The only redeeming factor of the constant gusts is that with it’s constant presence we can be assured that the emenint insect problems will not be much of an issue. But factoring in the fact that I can count the number of windless days that I have encountered in the last 28 days with only my thumbs, the prospect of a day surrounded by millions of winged pests couldn’t be more appealing.
If it is any consolation Environment Canada assures the region in its latest forecast that the winds will change…direction at least


I could go on and on forever about the wind…in fact I might. Ever seen a bonfire that burned horizontally for hours and hours yet went nowhere? Never has something been fed so much fuel, core boxes, and never leapt higher than a foot and a half. Damned if it wasn’t hot though. With my back to that horrific wind I still couldn’t stand closer than 5’ to the bastard. Something about being force fed oxygen that makes stuff burn real good.

I am tired of bitching about the wind.

Wind’s boring.

Now I got nothing left to bitch about.

Hell of a party, free booze, sushi, frivolity and then followed by a pseudo-day off. Save for the dreaded sewage responsibility. Hell of a hangover cure though.

Ah… summer. Once I get out of this place I might actually get to experience it…Somewhere.

Have I mentioned how much I love the Arctic?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

stiff upper lip, chap. It could be worse, there could be tigers or something much more fierce, pan handlers. I guess in the artic, pan handling is an pseudonym for the cook. Do you have your calendar with the big red X's marking off how many days left or in your booze free environment have you taken to huffing jiffy markers?

Anywho, it's sunny and warm with no wind down here, albeit some very, very localized wind with a lingering aroma.

Tonight we FABAMAS and golfing on Sunday. It's tough, I know.

cheers and git 'er done.

ecurb
my kindom for a kite